"WHITTONSTALL is a chapelry, township and village, the property of the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital, to whom the manorial rights belong. It was separated from Bywell St. Peter's parish, and became a distinct chapelry for ecclesiastical purposes, in 1774, when it received an augmentation from Queen Anne's bounty. It comprises the townships of Whittonstall and Newlands, the former of which contains 1,968 acres, and its rateable value is £1,673 10s. Population in 1821 was 146; in 1831, 175; in 1841, 184; and in 1851, 198 souls. Here is a drain-tile manufactory, which is carried on by Mr. William Dinning. THE VILLAGE of Whittonstall is situated about three and a half miles south by east of Bywell. THE CHAPEL is a plain stone building, containing about 305 sittings, and was erected in 1832, from the materials of the former chapel, on whose site it partly stands. The living is a perpetual curacy in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Durham, and incumbency of the Rev. Richard Marshall. The register of this chapelry commences in 1754. WHITTONSTALL SCHOOL was erected by subscription in 1846; it is self supporting, and under government inspection" [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].
'WHITTONSTALL, a chapelry in the parish of BYWELL-ST-PETER, eastern division of TINDALE ward, county of NORTHUMBERLAND ..." [Samuel Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1831 © Mel Lockie]