Hide

National Gazetteer (1868) - Whittonstall

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

"WHITTONSTALL, (or Wittonstall), a chapelry and township in the parish of Bywell St. Peter, E. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 9 miles E. of Hexham, and 3 S.W. of the Stockfield station of the Newcastle and Carlisle railway. The village is situated on the line of the ancient Watling Street, and near the banks of the river Tyne. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Durham, value £200, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church of SS. Philip and John was erected in 1832.

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]