"WOODHORN parish bounded on the north by Widdrington chapelry, on the west by Bothal and Ulgham, on the south by Bedlingtonshire, and on the east by the German Ocean. It is about four and three-quarter miles in length, by two and a half in breadth, and comprises an area of 8,546 acres. The number of inhabitants in l801, was 1,208; in 1811, 1,172; in 1821, 1,378; in l831, 1,416; in l841, 1,618; and in 1851, 1,598 souls. The soil of this district is generally fertile. The parish contains the chapelry of Newbiggin, and the townships of Cresswell, Ellington, Hurst, Linmouth, North Seaton, Woodhorn, and Woodhorn Demesne." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855]
"HORTON, a parish in the eastern division of CASTLE ward, county of NORTHUMBERLAND,.......Horton formed part of the parish of Woodhorn until the year 1768, when it was severed from it......." [Samuel Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1831 © Mel Lockie]
"WIDDRINGTON, a chapelry (parochial), in the eastern division of MORPETH ward, county of NORTHUMBERLAND, ... The church is ancient, and appears to have been once much larger. A Scotch church was erected here in 1765.' Widdrington was separated from the parish of Woodhorn, and invested with distinct parochial rights, in 1768....." [Samuel Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1831 © Mel Lockie]
- Northumberland County Record Office holds copies of Census Returns 1841 - 1891 and provides a useful User Guide
- The 1851 Census Index (microfiche CN24) Woodhorn, Widdrington, Ulgham, Warkworth (part), Bothal, Hebron & Felton (part) (PRO piece HO 107/2418 folios 461-641) (Type B) (Book) published by the https://www.ndfhs.org.uk/may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.
- Woodhorn, St Mary the Virgin was built in the early eleventh century but most of the external features are from a restoration of 1842. The church was made redundant in 1973 and is now Woodhorn Church Museum. It is located in the village of Woodhorn, 1 mile northwest of Newbiggin-by-the-Sea.
- Cresswell, St Bartholomew was built in 1836 to serve the Baker-Cresswell family and their estate workers. It is situated in the coastal village of Cresswell, just south of Druridge Bay.
- Seaton Hirst, St John the Evangelist was built in 1896 to serve a mining community just to the east of Ashington. It became a parish in 1905. A mission church, Seaton Hirst, St Andrew the Apostle, was built in 1905. The present brick building was erected in 1932 and replaced the original temporary structure which was known locally as the "Tin Church". St John's is located on Newbiggin Road and St Andrew's is on Hawthorn Road.
- Lynemouth, St Aidan in Market Street was built in 1925 and became a parish church in 1961.
- The Ancestral Indexes website provides information about Seaton Hirst, St Andrew and Seaton Hirst, St John.
- Woodhorn - Church Records - links and information.
- This area is within Northumberland Central Registration District.
- Certificates of birth, death and marriage can be ordered Locally from Northumberland County Council.
- The Northumberland Communities website includes pages relating to Ellington and Lynemouth. They provide "a range of learning resource material that reflects Northumberland's heritage, providing a base for studying the County's history. The website provides a starting point for understanding the development of communities in Northumberland. It also seeks to illustrate the range of sources for family and local history research that are available via Northumberland Archives Service."
- The section of The National Gazetteer (1868) relating to this parish - transcribed by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Woodhorn to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Woodhorn has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The history of Woodhorn Parish is included in:- Hodgson, J., History of Northumberland, Part 2, Volume 2. Newcastle, 1832. (Available on fiche from Ancestral Indexes).
- Woodhorn - Maps - links and information.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ272871 (Lat/Lon: 55.177779, -1.574888), Woodhorn which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)