Norfolk: Acle: Nowhere
Nowhere is about 3 miles W. of Great Yarmouth.
It is an area of salt marshes on the north side of Breydon Water, and was annexed to Acle in 1862.
See also Acle.
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
FOLDHOLME and SKEETHOLME are Salt Marshes, on the north side of Breydon Water, 3 miles W. of Yarmouth, forming an Extra-parochial Liberty of 484 acres, belonging to the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, and let to the farmers of the adjacent parishes.
- 1883: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
NO-WHERE, near Yarmouth, including Foldholme, Skeetholme, and Stargap, is in the Liberty of the precincts of Norwich Cathedral, though distant 17 miles from it. Foldholme and Skeetholme are Salt Marshes, on the north side of Breydon Water, three miles west of Yarmouth, comprising 484 acres, belonging to the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, and let to the farmers of the adjacent parishes, one of whom, Charles Jecks, Esq., occupies 267 acres.
From ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS on pages 13-16:
"take out 'is in the precincts . . . . from it.' The place partly belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners."
- 1892: Kelly's Directory of Norfolk
From the entry for Acle:
NOWHERE, formerly extra-parochial, is now annexed to this parish, under the provisions of the Assessment Act of 1862.
In 1851 Nowhere was returned with Runham.
In 1861 there were 4 inhabited houses and 16 people.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.