"ALBY, a pleasant scattered village and parish, 5 miles N. by E. of Aylsham, had 346 inhabitants in 1831, but only 299 in 1841. It contains 745A., of which 85A. are in Hanworth Park, and 130A. were enclosed in 1842. The Earl of Orford and W. H. Windham and W. Wicks, Esqrs., own most of the soil, and the Earl is patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7.11s.8d., and now enjoyed by the Rev. Samuel Rees, M.A., who rebuilt the greater part of the Rectory House in 1843, at a cost of £600, of which £475 was obtained from Queen Anne's Bounty. The glebe is about 15A., and the tithes were commuted in 1838 for £200 per annum. The Church (St. Ethelbert,) is at the west end of the parish, but most of the houses are about a mile to the east, and some of them half a mile west, near Thwaite Green." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Ingworth, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Ethelbert.
- Archdeacons' Transcripts
- Alby with Thwaite Baptisms 1675-1812, Marriages 1675-1811 and Burials 1675-1812.
[Parish Register Transcription Society, Dart Series, 2000?]
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Alby to another place.
Alby is in South Erpingham Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for South Erpingham Hundred
- Description of South Erpingham Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Alby has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain. Inclosure Commissioners
- Statement of claims: West Beckham (18) and Alby (42).
Drawn up in pursuance of the Act of Inclosure, 1839.
- Great Britain: Statute
- West Beckham and Alby Inclosure Act, 1839.
An act for inclosing lands in the parishes of West Beckham and Alby in the county of Norfolk: 1st July 1839.
[London, George Edward Eyre and Andrew Spottiswoode, 1839]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG193341 (Lat/Lon: 52.859881, 1.256862), Alby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- After 1834 Alby became part of the Aylsham Union, and the workhouses were at Buxton and Oulton. These were replaced by a new workhouse at Aylsham in 1849.
- Overseers' Rates
Principal property occupiers and the amounts paid.
1778, 1790, 1801, 1815, and 1827.
- Overseers' Payments, or Disbursements
Payments for outrelief, medical expenses, clothes, etc.
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1891, 1901 and 1911 Censuses
- The figures are for Alby with Thwaite, not for Alby only.
- 1901 Census
- "Including Alby Hill, Low Common, and Thwaite Common."