William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]
ALDEBY, a parish of scattered houses on the East Suffolk Railway, in the vale of the Waveney, 3 miles N.E. of Beccles and 16 miles S.E. by E. of Norwich, is in Loddon and Clavering union, Beccles county court district, Yarmouth bankruptcy district, Loddon and Clavering petty sessional division, Clavering hundred, Toft Monks polling district of South Norfolk, East Brooke rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
It had 642 inhabitants in 1881, living on 3268 acres of land, and has a rateable value of £4,412, and a gross rental of £5,410.10s. The manor, in which the copyholds pay small certain fines, was held in the reign of William the Conqueror by Stigand, Archbishop of Canterbury, and now belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who also own the tithes. The trustees of Ampton School, Suffolk, own the Hall farm (380 acres), and the rest of the land belongs to Caleb Colman, Esq., Messrs. J. Mapleston, Robert Hunt, A. Carman, and others.
The CHURCH (St. Mary's) is an ancient structure of brick and rubble, with occasional facings of flint, and consists of nave, chancel, south chancel aisle, north transept, north porch, and square embattled tower. The tower rises at the intersection of the nave, chancel, and transept, and contains four bells. The style of the church is mainly Early English, with a fine Norman arch over the west door. The north porch is a good specimen of a later period. In the chancel are a sedile and a piscina. The west doorway is a fine specimen of Norman architecture. The church was restored in 1880 at a cost of £500.
The Registers date from 1558.
The Dean and Chapter of Norwich are patrons of the living, which is a vicarage valued at £299, and now in the incumbency of the Rev. Jesse Gillett. There is a good parsonage-house, built in 1842 out of Queen Anne's Bounty fund, and enlarged in 1881. The tithes were commuted in 1840 for £735 per annum, and are held on lease by the Carpenter family. In the church was a chapel dedicated [to] St. Furceus, to which certain tithes belonged, and certain offerings were made to the saint.
Adjoining the building was a priory of Benedictine monks, founded about 1100 by Agnes, wife of Robert de Kia, as a cell to the Priory of Norwich. At the Dissolution the whole of the property came to the Crown, and the prior was made a prebendary in the Cathedral of Norwich. The remains of the priory have been converted into a dwelling-house. Blomfield mentions an agreement, dated 1310, which allowed the prior to take marl out of the great common of Aldeby 'to marle his lands.'
The National School is a brick building, erected in 1840, a class-room being added in 1875. It is attended by about 120 children.
The Poor's Allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1806, is about 22 acres, let for £60 a year, which is distributed in coal.
POST OFFICE at Mr. William Lee's. Letters via Beccles arrive at 9.15 a.m. and depart at 5 p.m.
Balls William vict., Dun Cow Inn Beare James assistant overseer and butcher Beare Mr Robert Beare Robert, jun. butcher Beckett Robert miller Blyth William farmer, The Priory Carman Mr Allington The Grange Carman Allington, jun. farmer, Grange farm; house Haddiscoe Clarke Mrs Jane farmer Day John market gardener Emms Samuel brickmaker Flaxman Robert farmer Futter James parish clerk Gillett Rev Jesse vicar, The Vicarage Gowing William shopkeeper Grimmer Jas farmer & mket gardener Hadingham William farmer Jeffries William farmer Jex Miss Harriet farmer, Hall farm Kemp William brick foreman Knights Wm. vict., The Tuns Inn Lee Wm. grocer, cowkeeper, & postmaster Mapleston John farmer, landowner, treasurer to National School, The Grove Mayhew Thos. farmer and surveyor Mickelburgh Pascoe William farmer, East End farm Mickelburgh William Blandon farmer, landowner, overseer, & assessor & collector of taxes, Aldeby House Mills Alfred grocer and draper, and provision dealer Mills George shoemaker Muttitt Alfred farmer Newson Wm. blksmith & wheelwright Tyrrell Miss H. Nl. schoolmistress Wright Aaron bricklayer Wright George stationmaster Wright Mrs Mary Ann farmer, Sutton's farm
RAILWAY, G.E.R. -- Trains to and from Beccles and Yarmouth for all parts daily. Geo Wright, stationmaster.
See also the Aldeby parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.