Norfolk: Alderford - 1826 - Land Tax
This tax was based on the value of property etc. and paid by the owner or (sometimes) occupier according to their agreement. It started in 1692 and valuations are based on those done at this date.
For more information on these records see the Land Tax Assessments page.
This Norfolk Record Office document [with the reference C/SCD 2/9/1 1826 and also on microform] is one of the Norfolk Quarter Sessions Land Tax Assessments which are arranged by divisions this one being in Eynsford Hundred.
Other accounts available
|- Churchwardens' Accounts -|
|- Land Tax Accounts -|
[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
In 1826 a new printed form was used which contained the following.
The original document had the following headings spelt out in full. They have been contracted to allow for a clearer display.
- Rent = "Rentals"
- Exon = "Sums assessed and exonerated"
- Not Exon = "Sums assessed and not exonerated"
In the Parish of Alderford
In the Division of Eynsford
In the County of Norfolk
An Assessment made for granting an Aid to His Majesty by a LAND TAX, to be raised in Great Britain, for the Service of the Year One Thousand Eight Hundred and Twenty-six, in Pursuance of an Act passed in the Thirty-eighth Year of the Reign of his late Majesty Geo. III. intituted "An Act for granting an Aid to His Majesty by a LAND TAX, to be raised in Great Britain, for the Service of the Year One Thousand Seven Hundred and Ninety Eight," and another Act passed in the Forty-second of the said late Majesty's Reign, intituted, "An Act for consolidating the Provisions of the Several Acts passed for the Redemption and Sale of the Land Tax into one Act, and for making further Provision for the Redemption and Sale thereof".
Assessed by Us Benjamin Stimpson } Assessors
We do hereby return -- Benjamin Stimpson and --
as able and sufficient Persons living within the limits and bounds of the said Parish of Alderford to be Collectors of the Monies as aforesaid.
|Rent||Names of Proprietors||Names of|
|Priscilla Howlett||Priscilla Howlett||Messuage & Land||- 6 -|
|Tompson Chas Esqr||Tompson C Esqr late Brown||Messuage & Land||7 - -|
|Tompson C Esqr||Tompson C Esqr late Sewell||Land late Sewels|
|Tompson C Esqr||Tompson C Esqr||Land late to the Hall||2 4 -|
|Tompson C Esqr||Tompson C Esqr||late Newton||- 3 -|
|Norwich Charity||Tompson Chas Esqr||Land||- 16 -|
|Tompson C Esqr||Land late Porrett & Ben Stimpson||Land & premises||7 8 -|
|Ogleby John||James Howlett||Land||1 - -|
|Tompson C Esqr||Tompson C Esqr||Land||- 12 -|
|[Totals]||9.7.-||10. 2 -|
Aug 24th 1826 Allowed by us until just cause
is shown to the contrary
Peter Le Neve Foster?
[End of Document]
- In other rate documents the following alternative spellings have been seen which appear to refer to the same people/places:-
- Amount exonerated = £9-7s and amount to collect is £10-2s which indicates a discrepancy with previous one of 1801 probably due to no tax being paid on "late Sewells" property. The valuations for the properties (based on a tax of 4/- per £) are :-
- £1½, £35, £--, £11, £0-15s, £4, £39½, £5 and £3
- Form had space for 2 assessors but only one needed and appointed here.
- The Rentals column was blank.
- The land owned by Bryant HOWLETT from at least 1801 to 1812 changed owners as follows :- Hannah HOWLETT (1813-1815), ----? (1816-1818), Mrs HOWLETT (1819-1821) Priscilla HOWLETT (1824-1827) and then to Harriot HOWLETT in 1828 with occupier Robert BACCON.
In the 1831 census there is a Harriett HOWLETT aged 23 living in the house of Robert BACON aged 69.
See also the Alderford parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.