William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]
ALDERFORD, on a declivity 3 miles S. by E. of Reepham, is a small parish in St. Faith's union, Aylsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Eynesford hundred and petty sessional division, Reepham polling district of North Norfolk, and Sparham rural deanery of Norwich archdeaconry. It had 37 inhabitants in 1881 living on 432 acres, and has a rateable value of £671. It is in the manor of Swannington, and mostly the property of Viscount Canterbury.
The CHURCH (St. John the Baptist) is a small ancient building, comprising nave, chancel, porch and square tower with one bell. The discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4 6s. 8d. and now at £219, with the vicarage of Attlebridge annexed, is in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, and incumbency of the Rev. W. L. Buckley, M.A., who has a good rectory house. The tithes of this parish have been commuted for £149 9s. per annum.
POST via Norwich. Reepham is the nearest Money Order Office.
Ampleford Isaac vict. Canterbury Arms Buckley Rev. Wm. Louis, M.A. rector Stimpson Benjamin farmer & dealer; and Morton-on-the-Hill
CARRIER passes through to Norwich Mon. Wed. & Sat.
See also the Alderford parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.