White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
ALPINGTON, a pleasant village on the southern acclivity of a lofty ridge, near Yelverton, 6½ miles S.E. by S. of Norwich, has in its parish 197 souls, and about 520 acres of land, mostly belonging to the Earl of Rosebery.
Its church was dilapidated many centuries ago, and no traces of it now remain. Its rectory has been consolidated from an early period with that of Yelverton, a parish on the opposite side of the hill, with which Alpington was united also for the support of the poor, till about 1836. The tithes of the two parishes have been commuted for about £410 per annum.
The Fuel Allotment, awarded to the poor of Alpington, at the enclosure, is 9A. 1R. 31P. They have also a share of Rant's Charity, as noticed with Yelverton.
Here is a small National School.
Bacon John beer seller Freston Jas. blacksmith Tovell John wheelwright Whitmore Geo. plumber and glazier Whitmore Zebdh. shoemaker farmers Andrews Samuel High William Leister John Minister Jas. Nichols Widow Reeder Chas. Ward Randall
See also the Alpington parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.