Ashby St Mary
"ASHBY, 7½ miles S.E. by E. of Norwich, and 3 miles N.N.W. of Loddon, has in its parish 263 souls, and 436 acres of land, belonging to several owners. Sir Chas. H. Rich, Bart., is lord of the manor; and he and Sir W. B. Procter are alternate patrons of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £6, and consolidated with Carleton St. Peter, which see. The CHURCH (St. Mary,) has a square tower and three bells. The tithes here have been commuted for £176 per annum." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
See also Ashby with Oby
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brooke, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ashby St Mary to another place.
Ashby St Mary is in Loddon Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Loddon Hundred
- Description of Loddon Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Ashby St Mary has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Ashby Saint Mary and Hellington Inclosure Act, 1837.
An act for dividing, allotting, and inclosing the open fields and field lands, commons, and waste grounds in the parishes of Ashby and Hellington in the county of Norfolk: 5th May 1837.
[London, George Eyre and Andrew Spottiswoode, 1837]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG333023 (Lat/Lon: 52.568421, 1.44144), Ashby St Mary which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)