William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Helen Neave]
ASHMANHAUGH, a small parish, 7 miles S. by E. of North Walsham, and 10 miles N.E. by N. of Norwich, has 180 souls, and 666A. of land, mostly the property of Sir J.R. Preston, the lord of the manor, impropriator, and patron of the perpetual curacy, which was certified at £10, and valued in 1831, at £41, and is now enjoyed by the Rev. Thos. Hulton. It was augmented from 1731 to 1810, with £600 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and in 1758, with £200, given by Isaac Preston, Esq. With these sums 27A. of land was purchased. The old glebe is 5A. 2R., and the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £145 per annum.
The Church (St. Swithen,) was repaired, repewed, and the tower rebuilt, in 1841,-'2.
The Church land, 1R. 2P., has a cottage upon it. The Poor's Allotment, 8A., awarded in 1808, is let for £8. The Old Poor's Land, with an allotment awarded to it is 2½A., let, with two tenements upon it, for £2.15s.
Lady Preston supports a School here for the poor.
Bean John blacksmith Finch Jacob thatcher Seaton Cath. schoolmistress farmers. Bell Benjamin Cadge Cphr. Crowe Wm. Harris Thomas Sandell Martin
See also the Ashmanhaugh parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.