William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1864
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
ASHMANHAUGH, a small parish, 7 miles S. by E. of North Walsham, and 10 miles N.E. by N. of Norwich, has 136 inhabitants, and 666 acres of land, mostly the property of Sir J.H. Preston, Bart., the lord of the manor, impropriator, and patron of the perpetual curacy, which was certified at £10, and is now valued at £76, and consolidated with the rectory of Beeston St. Lawrence. It was augmented from 1731 to 1810, with £600 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and in 1758, with £200, given by Isaac Preston, Esq. With these sums 27A. of land were purchased. The old glebe is 5A. 2R., and the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £145 per annum. The Rev. Fras. Jickling, M.A., is the present incumbent, and has just built a new Rectory House here, for the consolidated parishes.
The Church (St. Swithin) is a very small fabric, comprising nave, chancel, south porch, and low round tower. The latter was rebuilt in 1842, and contains one bell. The Church Land, 1R. 2P., has a cottage upon it, and is let for £4.
The Poor's Allotment, 8A., awarded in 1808, is let for £8. The Old Poor's Land, with an allotment awarded to it, is 2½A., let, with two tenements upon it, for £2. 5s.
The School is supported by the Misses Preston, of Barton Turf, and is attended by about 45 children.
The chief residents are -
Jickling The Rev. Fras., rector of Beeston St. Lawrence, and M.A. incumbent of Ashmanhaugh. Rectory Ling Benj. farmer Felstead Caroline shopkeeper and blacksmith Blackburn Ann schoolmistress Smith Hy. parish clerk
POST from Norwich, via Neatishead.
See also the Ashmanhaugh parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.