William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]
ASHWELLTHORPE, 9 miles S.W. of Norwich, has in its parish 469 souls, and 809 acres of land, anciently in two parishes, called Ashwell and Thorpe, and held for a long period by the family of De Thorpe, from whom the manor passed to the Bouchier, Knyvett, and Wilson families.
Lord Berners, the head of the latter family, is the present owner, and also patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6.13s.4d., and in 1831 at £650, with that of Wreningham annexed to it, in the incumbency of the Hon. and Rev. Robt. Wilson, who occupies the Hall, a brick Elizabethan mansion, with a modern wing.
The tithes of Ashwellthorpe were commuted in 1842 for £340, and those of Wreningham for £400 per annum. Here are many copyholds, subject to arbitrary fines.
The Church (All Saints,) is an ancient fabric, with a square tower and five bells, and has a neat mural tablet in memory of the late Lord Berners, who died in 1838. In a chapel, on the north side of the chancel, is the altar tomb of Sir Edmund de Thorpe, bearing effigies of himself and lady. He was slain at the siege of Lover's castle, in Normandy, but was interred here.
The Fuel Allotment, 1A. 1R. 31P., awarded at the enclosure in 1814, adjoins 10A. which was enclosed from the waste for the use of the Workhouse, 55 years ago, and the whole is let for £18. The Workhouse was sold after the formation of Depwade Union.
Here is a National School, established in 1841, and attended by 40 children.
Able Wm. butcher and shopkeeper Austin Thomas blacksmith Balls Abel shoemaker Browne Jas. wheelwright Browne Rev. Jas. L. curate Browne Edward brewer, baker, and shopkeeper Bugg Wm. blacksmith Bunn Wm. joiner and beer seller Chapman John shoemaker Elliott Robert vict., White Horse Harvey Geo. vict., King's Head Harvey Miss Charlotte Rattee Eliz. blacksmith Rix John bricklayer Vince Sarah National School, (established 1841) Whitehand Mr. James Wilson Hon. and Rev. Hall Robert farmers Browne* Edward and Thomas Goose * Robt. Green * Charles Harvey Watts Charles (and maltster) Harvey Thomas (Marked * are owners.)
See also the Ashwellthorpe parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.