William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]
ASLACTON, 13 miles S.S.W. of Norwich, and 4½ miles E. by N. of New Buckenham, has in its parish, 404 souls, and 1168A. of land, belonging to several owners. John Cooper, Esq., is lord of the manor, impropriator, and patron of the Church, (St.Michael,) which has a round tower and five bells.
The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in 1831 at £58, and enjoyed by the Rev. Charles Carver, of Long Stratton. The Grange is tithe-free, and the tithes of the rest of the parish were commuted in 1839 for £340 per annum.
Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1833, and enlarged in 1844.
The Fuel Allotment, 17A. 3R. 36P., awarded at the enclosure in 1806, is let for £24. The poor have also 20s. a year, left by Lawrence Le Neve, out of land belonging to J. Cooper, Esq.
Coleman Elijah blacksmith Cooper Thos. shoemaker Fish John shopkeeper Fisher Joseph plumber, painter, and shopkeeper Gibson Benjamin miller Moss James vict., Bell Penman Mrs. Mary Ann boarding school farmers Arnold James Barker George Craske George Elvin Benjamin Green Henry Howes John King Robert Lister Wm. Pratt Richd. Jerh. Self Charles Wiffin John
See also the Aslacton parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.