"ATTLEBOROUGH, or Attleburgh, is an ancient market town, pleasantly situated on the Norwich and Thetford turnpike, 15 miles S.W. of the former place, and 14 N.E. by E. of the latter, and on the north side of the Norfolk Railway, which has a neat station here. In the Saxon era it was the seat of Offa and Edmund, successively Kings of the East Angles, who fortified it against the predatory incursions of the Danes. . . . It was afterwards the seat of the Mortimers, whose ancient hall, (now a farm house,) is encompassed by a deep moat. The parish contains 501 houses, 2,324 inhabitants, and 5,247 acres of land. . . . The town is comprised chiefly of one long street, with several good inns and shops; and the market on Thursdays is well attended. . . . The CHURCH, dedicated to the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, is a cruciform structure, with a tower rising at the intersection of the transepts, and six bells. The east end was destroyed by the fall of the spire." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1854) - Transcription copyright © the late A.J. Carter]
Attleborough is 15 miles southwest of Norwich.
Attlebridge is 8 miles northwest of Norwich.
They are about 14 miles apart.
The name may also be spelled Attleburgh.
|Queens Road Cemetery, Attleborough, Cemetery|
|Chapel (Chapel Rd), Attleborough, Primitive Methodist|
|Chapel (Thieves Lane), Attleborough, Wesleyan Methodist|
|Methodist Church (London Rd), Attleborough, Primitive Methodist|
|St Johns (Station Rd), Attleborough, Wesleyan Methodist|
|Meeting House, Attleborough, Society of Friends|
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Rockland, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- Pictures, description, history, services, etc.
- Patton, William
- Architectural notes upon Attleborough church, Norfolk
- Partridge, E. G.
- Quakerism in Attleborough and district.
[ISBN 0900592583, University of Cambridge, Board of Extra-Mural Studies, Thesis (Certificate in local history), 1977]
- Yaxley, Philip
- Wymondham and Attleborough in Old Photographs.
[ISBN 0750907495; Britain in Old Photographs Series, 1994]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Attleborough to another place.
Attleborough is in Shropham Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Shropham Hundred
- Description of Shropham Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Attleborough has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- History of Attleborough
- Summary of Attleborough's history.
- Bujak, Philip
- Attleborough: the evolution of a town
[ISBN 0946148457, North Walsham: Poppyland, 1990]
- Great Britain. Inclosure Commissioners
- Statement of claims (131): Attleburgh.
Drawn up in pursuance of the Act of Inclosure, 1812.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Attleborough Inclosure Act, 1812.
An act for inclosing lands in the parish of Attleburgh, in the county of Norfolk: 20th May 1812.
[London, George Eyre and Andrew Strahan, 1812]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM047954 (Lat/Lon: 52.517736, 1.015718), Attleborough which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)