"ATTLEBRIDGE, on the north bank of the Wensum, and on the Fakenham turnpike, 8 miles N.W. of Norwich, has in its parish 94 souls, and 1206 acres of land, mostly belonging to N. Micklethwait, Esq., the lord of the manor and impropriator. Formerly, here was a hamlet called Dighton, or Dike-townhills; and there was also a Hermitage, near the river, which is now crossed by a strong wooden bridge. The Church (St. Andrew,) is a vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5. 6s. 10½d., and consolidated with the rectory of Alderford." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
See also Attleborough.
Not all memorials may be included, even when a transcription is marked as complete, for example when stones are not legible enough to be read or photographed.
- Mid-Norfolk Family History Society
- Memorial Inscriptions of the Churches and Churchyards of St Andrew, Attlebridge with St John the Baptist, Alderford.
[Mid-Norfolk Family History Society, 2009]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Taverham, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Andrew.
- Rowles, Stuart; and Goulty, George A.
- The Parish Registers of Attlebridge: Baptisms 1712-1842, Marriages 1725-1837, Burials 1716-1842. Transcribed and indexed.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Genealogical Society, 1993]
- Parish Register Transcripts
- Baptisms 1813-1880
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Attlebridge to another place.
Attlebridge is in Taverham Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Taverham Hundred
- Description of Taverham Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Attlebridge has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kelly, Geoffrey Ian
- Church Farmhouse, Attlebridge: A history.
[Typescript in Norwich Local Studies Library, 2001]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG129170 (Lat/Lon: 52.708427, 1.150129), Attlebridge which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- See Norfolk People and Families
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1801 Census
- The number of inhabited houses really is only 4.
- 1861 Census
- "ST. FAITHS. The decrease of population in most of the parishes comprised in the District of St. Faiths is attributed to the migration of labourers and their families to the manufacturing districts."