Hide

Banningham

hide
Hide

"BANNINGHAM, a village and parish, 2½ miles N.E. of Aylsham, has 329 souls, and 908 acres of fertile land, belonging to various owners. W.H. Windham, Esq., is lord of the manor. The Church (St. Botolph) has a square tower, with only one bell, the other two being sold in 1808, towards paying the expense of re-leading the nave. It has some remains of ancient stained glass, and is about to be re-pewed. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10. 5s. 10d., has 17A. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £383, awarded, in 1842, in lieu of tithes. S. Bignold, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Wm. Jex Blake, of Lammas, incumbent. Here is a Primitive Methodist Chapel, built in 1828." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]

Hide
Hide
topup

Church Directories

  • In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Ingworth, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
    It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
  • The parish church is dedicated to St Botolph.
topup

Church History

Church of St Botolph
Description and pictures.
Church of St Botolph
Services, etc.
Church of St Botolph
Description and picture.
Church of St Botolph
Description and pictures of the stained glass.
Church of St Botolph
Wall paintings in the church.
Hall, Bryan
The Felmingham group of parishes, brief historical notes on the churches of Felmingham, Suffield, Colby, Banningham and Tuttington.
[Felmingham, The Churches, 1977]
topup

Church Records

Marriages
These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records

topup

Civil Registration

For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1930 (and for the censuses from 1851 to 1901), Banningham was in Aylsham Registration District.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration

topup

Description & Travel

Colby and Banningham Parish Council
News, meetings, minutes, etc.
Banningham Post Mill
Description, history and map.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Banningham which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

Banningham is in South Erpingham Hundred.

Parish outline and location.
See Parish Map for South Erpingham Hundred
Description of South Erpingham Hundred
1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

You can see the administrative areas in which Banningham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Land & Property

Inclosure
See Erpingham
Hall, Bryan
Banningham Old Rectory.
[Banningham, 1979]

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Land and Property

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG216296 (Lat/Lon: 52.818066, 1.287888), Banningham which are provided by:

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • After 1834 Banningham became part of the Aylsham Union, and the workhouses were at Buxton and Oulton. These were replaced by a new workhouse at Aylsham in 1849.
topup

Population

These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.

Year  Inhabited
Houses
FamiliesPopulation
18014953228
18115256247
18215860256
18317275360
184174--329
185178--330
Year  Inhabited
Houses
FamiliesPopulation
186167--302
18716468274
18816064245
18915959249
19015859223
1911--53215

There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.

1901 Census
"Including Mill Common."