Kelly's Directory of Norfolk 1933
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BARMER is a parish, 4 miles south-east from Docking station on the King's Lynn and Wells section of the London and North Eastern railway, and 8 north-west-by-west from Fakenham, in the King's Lynn division of the county, Gallow hundred and petty sessional division, Docking rural district, Little Walsingham county court district, rural deanery of Burnham, archdeaconry of Lynn and diocese of Norwich.
The church of All Saints is a small building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, and a round tower containing one bell: there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1824. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of Dagthorpe [sic, ie Bagthorpe], joint net yearly value £240, less £81 pension, in the gift of Commdr. E.H. Longsdon R.N. & H.N.P. Dugmore esq. alternately. In sequestration since 1931, and held since 1933 by the Rev. Howard Banister M.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge, who is clerical sequestrator, and resides at Stanhoe.
Barmer Hall is a large mansion owned by Commdr. E.H. Longsdon R.N. and occupied by Douglas Carruthers esq. and the Hon. Mrs. Carruthers. Commdr. E.H. Longsdon R.N. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is light; subsoil, gravel and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 1,483 acres; the population in 1921 was 55.
Letters through Lynn. Syderstone is the nearest Money Order & Telegraph office
(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Carruthers Douglas & Hon. Mrs. Barmer hall
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
* Woods Wltr. Jas. farm foreman to L. Mason esq
The Telephone Number for Douglas and the Hon. Mrs. Carruthers was Syderstone 20.
See also the Barmer parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.