Hide

Little Barningham

hide
Hide

"BARNINGHAM, (LITTLE) 6 miles N.W. by N. of Aylsham, has in its parish 229 souls, and 1225A. of land, mostly belonging to the Earl of Orford, and Messrs. Page and Leake. The former is lord of the manor, which was anciently held by a family of its own name, who obtained a charter for a market and fair here, in the reign of Edward I. In 1312, Sir Henry Seagrave and 26 others came to the manor house, and pricked and cut the mother of Wm. de Berningham, to force her to tell them of her money and jewels, for which they were indicted, but produced the king's pardon. The Church (St. Andrew,) has a square tower, and the living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5.15s.2½d., and now having £260 per annum, awarded in 1839 in lieu of tithes. Messrs. G.T. and G.L. Graver, and G.B. Knight, are patrons, and the Rev. John Custance Leake is incumbent." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]

Hide

It is also known as Barningham Parva.
See also North Barningham and Barningham Town.

Hide
topup

Church Directories

  • In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Ingworth, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
    It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
  • The parish church is dedicated to St Andrew.
topup

Church History

Church of St Andrew
Description and pictures.
topup

Church Records

Archdeacons' Transcripts
Baptisms 1717-1812, Marriages 1717-1811 and Burials 1717-1811.
[Parish Register Transcription Society, Dart Series, 2000?]
Marriages
These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records

topup

Civil Registration

For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1930 (and for the censuses from 1851 to 1901), Little Barningham was in Aylsham Registration District.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration

You can see pictures of Little Barningham which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

Little Barningham is in South Erpingham Hundred.

Parish outline and location.
See Parish Map for South Erpingham Hundred
Description of South Erpingham Hundred
1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

You can see the administrative areas in which Little Barningham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Land & Property

Great Britain: Statute
Little Barningham and Calthorpe Inclosure Act, 1821.
An act for inclosing lands in the parishes of Little Barningham and Calthorpe, in the county of Norfolk.
[London, Dorington and Son, 1821]

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Land and Property

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG140333 (Lat/Lon: 52.854517, 1.177082), Little Barningham which are provided by:

topup

Military Records

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • After 1834 Little Barningham became part of the Aylsham Union, and the workhouses were at Buxton and Oulton. These were replaced by a new workhouse at Aylsham in 1849.