William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BARTON-BENDISH is a village of detached houses, 4 miles N. of Stoke Ferry, and 8 from Downham and Swaffham, comprising in its parish the hamlet and enclosed fens of EASTMORE, distant only 2 miles N.N.E. of Stoke Ferry, near the great foss and rampart, now called the Devil's ditch, and extending along the boundary of this Hundred, northward to Narborough. The parish contains 3,989 acres of land and 455 inhabitants, of which latter, 106 are in Eastmore hamlet. Sir Hanson Berney, of Kirby-Bedon, owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manors.
Barton had formerly three CHURCHES; but that dedicated to All Saints was dilapidated many years ago, and the ruins are cleared away, though the burial ground is still used by some of the parishioners.
The rectory of All Saints is consolidated with that of St. Mary's, a small edifice, with a thatched chancel and slated nave, but no tower, the latter having fallen down in the reign of Queen Anne, and the materials used in repairing the body of the church, which was nearly destroyed by this accident. The united rectories of All Saints and St. Mary, valued in the King's Book at £11, and in 1831 at £316, are in the gift of Sir H. Berney, and incumbency of the Rev. Geo. Day, M.A., of Norwich.
St. Andrew's Church is a larger thatched fabric, with a square tower and three bells. The chancel is paved with emblazoned tiles; and the east window has been ornamented with painted glass, of which some small fragments still remain. The nave was repaved and fitted up with new seats, in 1844, whe the building was thoroughly repaired, and a handsome piscina and curious ornamental niche were discovered in the chancel.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £14, and in 1831 at £163, is in the gift of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Howes, M.A., who officiates at both churches. At the enclosure of the common and fen lands, in 1777, the tithes were commuted for two allotments, viz:- 335A. to St. Andrew's, and 330A. to the consolidated rectories of St. Mary and All Saints.
Eastmore hamlet had anciently a chapel, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, but it was converted into a farm-house at the Reformation.
The Poor's Allotment, 40A., was awarded at the enclosure. The poor cut turf upon it, but the herbage is let for £25 a year. They have also 3A., left by an unknown donor, and let for £3.
In 1779, the Rev. Richd. Jones left £250 three per cent. stock, for schooling poor children. The dividends were not received from 1799 to 1831, but the arrears were paid in 1832, when new trustees were appointed. The money received as arrears, has been laid out in the erection of a School, in which the master teaches 12 free scholars.
Bond William carpenter
Gee John wheelwright, and vict., Spread Eagle
Howes Rev. Henry, M.A. rector of St. Andrew's
Lasscock William schoolmaster
Wilkin Samuel blacksmith
(* are at Eastmore)
Blomfield James * Flatt Walter
Blomfield Wm. Hall John
* Boughen John Hall Wm. (beer hs.)
Crome James Harper Lawrence
Filbee John, Lock Samuel
Mad house * Raven Money
See also the Barton Bendish parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.