"BARWICK-IN-THE-BRAKES is a parish, 2 miles E.of Docking, and 10 miles N.W. by W. of Fakenham, containing only 32 inhabitants, and 1,270 acres of land, forming the two manors and estates of Great and Little Barwick; the former belonging to J.J. Gay, Esq., and the latter to Derick Hoste, Esq., of Barwick House, a neat brick mansion with a fine lawn, on the verge of which stood the parish CHURCH, which was dilapidated many years ago, and has entirely disappeared. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6, and in 1831 at £40. It was augmented in 1737 and 1763 with £400, laid out in land now worth £30 a year, besides which, the incumbent (Rev. James Hoste,) has a yearly modus of £10 from the impropriator and patron, - D. Hoste, Esq. The parishioners use the church at Stanhoe." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
See also Stanhoe.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Heacham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- There is no parish church.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Barwick to another place.
Barwick is in Smithdon Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Smithdon Hundred
- Description of Smithdon Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Barwick has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF808356 (Lat/Lon: 52.887053, 0.685613), Barwick which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)