William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
BARWICK-IN-THE-BRAKES is a parish, 2 miles E. of Docking, and 10 miles N.W. by W. of Fakenham, in Docking union, Fakenham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Smithdon and Brothercross petty sessional division, Smithdon hundred, Docking polling district of West Norfolk, Heacham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 56 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1278 acres, and has a rateable value of £1455.
The parish comprises the two manors and estates of Great and Little Barwick; the former belonging to the trustees of the late Mr. J. Savory, and the latter to Mrs. L.M. Seymour, of Barwick House, a good brick mansion, with a well-wooded lawn of about 100 acres, on the verge of which stood the parish Church, which was dilapidated many years ago, and has entirely disappeared.
The discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6, and now consolidated with the rectory of Stanhoe, was augmented in 1737 and 1763 with £400, laid out in land now worth £30 a year, besides which the incumbent has a yearly modus of £10 from the owner of Great Barwick. The tithes of this parish have been commuted for £154 a year.
POST from Lynn. Docking is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office. Stanhoe is the nearest Railway station.
Savory Edmund farmer, Great Barwick Seymour Mrs Louisa Margaret Barwick house
See also the Barwick parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.