"BAWDESWELL, a neat and pleasant village, with a good inn, on the Norwich and Fakenham road, 4 miles W. by S. of Reepham, has in its parish 582 souls, and 1163 acres. Edward Lombe, Esq., is lord of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to Robert Leeds, Esq., the Misses Lloyd, (of the Hall, built in 1683,) and a few smaller owners. The ancient Church (All Saints,) of which the nave was destroyed by the fall of the steeple in 1739, was taken down in 1844, and rebuilt by subscription on a small scale, with only 317 sittings. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £7, and in 1844, at £330, is in the gift of E. Lombe, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Philip du Val Aufrere. The FREE SCHOOL was founded in 1728, for 12 poor boys of this parish, and 8 of Foxley, by John Leeds, Esq., who endowed it with a house and 16A. 1R. 14P. of land, now let for £20. 19s. a year. It is now conducted as a National School, for about 70 children, and is held in the building which was erected in 1781 as a Workhouse for the parishes of Bawdeswell, Billingford, Bintree, Bylaugh, Foxley, Lyng, and Sparham, which are now in Mitford and Launditch Union." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
Bawdeswell is about 10 miles S.E. of Fakenham.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Sparham, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- Bawdeswell Churches
- Description, pictures, guide, etc.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bawdeswell to another place.
Bawdeswell is in Eynsford Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Eynsford Hundred
- Description of Eynsford Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Bawdeswell has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Bawdeswell and Lyng Inclosure Act, 1808.
An act for inclosing lands in the parishes of Bawdeswell and Ling, in the county of Norfolk: 27th May 1808.
[London, George Eyre and Andrew Strahan, 1808]
- Bawdeswell Hall
- Description, picture, and families.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG046209 (Lat/Lon: 52.746788, 1.030481), Bawdeswell which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Bawdeswell School
- With old school photographs.