William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BAWSEY, another decayed parish, 2½ miles E. by N. of Lynn, has but 28 souls, 603 acres of enclosed land, and about 300 of sandy heath, forming an ancient rabbit warren, in which great quantities of grey sand are got, and sent to the glass houses in various parts of the kingdom. For every cart load of this sand, 1s. 6d. is paid to the lord of the manor, A. Hamond, Esq., who owns most of the soil, and is patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4, and in 1831 at £55. It is now enjoyed by the Rev. W.B. Coulcher; but it is a sinecure, for the CHURCH has been a roofless ruin upwards of a century; and here is only one farm-house, (occupied by John Gray,) and two cottages. Sir W.J.H.B. Ffolkes has 160 acres of land here, occupied by Messrs. Emerson, of Grimston.
See also the Bawsey parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.