"BAYFIELD, 2½ miles N.W. of Holt, is a small parish, united with Glandford for the support of the poor, and containing only 21 souls, and about 750 acres of land, in two farms, belonging to the wife of John Natl. Best, Esq., of Bayfield Hall, which has a beautiful park, in the vale of the river Glaven, near the ruins of the CHURCH (St. Margaret,) which is a sinecure rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4, and in 1831 at £40. Mrs E.J. Best is patroness, and the Rev. Caleb Elwin, of Melton Constable, incumbent. The Lodge Farm is occupied by Robert Purdy." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
It is also known as Glandford with Bayfield and as Glandford cum Bayfield.
See also Glandford.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Holt, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Margaret of Antioch, but it has been in ruins since before 1845.
- Church of St Margaret
- Description and pictures of the ruins.
- Heywood, Stephen and Ayton, John
- Three Ruined Churches: St Margaret, Bayfield; St Mary Magdalen, Saxlingham Thorpe; and All Saints, Oxwick.
[Norwich, Norfolk Archaeological and Historical Research Group, 1995]
- Linnell, Charles Lawrence Scruton
- Letheringsett with Bayfield: Church and Parish.
With lists of rectors.
[Stowmarket, Ashlock Magazine Centre, 1986]
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bayfield to another place.
Bayfield is in Holt Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Holt Hundred
- Description of Holt Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Bayfield has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Mellor, Derick
- The Glaven Valley: Historical Jottings.
[Cromer, Cheverton and Son, 1989]
- Mellor, Derick
- The Glaven Valley: Further Historical Jottings.
(Compiled by Marjorie Missen).
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG050405 (Lat/Lon: 52.922769, 1.048087), Bayfield which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)