William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BEESTON-ST.-ANDREW, 3½ miles N.E. by N. of Norwich, is in Taverham hundred, St. Faith's union, Norwich county court and bankruptcy district, Taverham petty sessional division, Norwich polling district of South Norfolk, and Norwich rural deanery and archdeaconry. It had, in 1881, 39 inhabitants, living on 626 acres of land, of a rateable value of £1144.
The parish is mostly the property of the Micklethwait family and O. Barne's executors; but Sir T.B. Lennard, Bart, is lord of the manor. The Hall, long a seat of the Micklethwaits, was pulled down in 1846.
There has been no church here during the last two centuries, though the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £3 6s. 8d., and now at £190, is still continued as a sinecure, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Banfather, B.D., of Sprowston.
POST viâ Norwich.
Bagshaw George farmer; h Norwich
Gowen Abraham gardener
Howlett Henry farmer, Dairy farm
Kett Peter Matthew farmer and wholesale butcher
Money John estate carpenter
From ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS on pages 13-16:
"for 'Norwich rural deanery and,'
read 'Taverham hundred and rural deanery and Norwich.'"
See also the Beeston St Andrew parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.