"BEETLEY, a village and parish, 3 miles N. by W. of East Dereham, has 395 souls, and about 1800 acres. Edward Lombe, Esq., is lord of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to Lord Sondes, the Rev. Robt. Hankinson, and several smaller owners. The decayed parish of Bittering Magna was divided many years ago between Beetley and Gressenhall. The Church (St. Mary Magdalen) is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9. 7s. 11d., and now having a yearly rent of about £500, awarded in 1844, in lieu of tithes. John Collison, Esq, is patron, and the Rev. Henry Collison, incumbent." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brisley, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary Magdalen.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Beetley to another place.
Beetley is in Launditch Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Launditch Hundred
- Description of Launditch Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Beetley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF976173 (Lat/Lon: 52.717423, 0.923451), Beetley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)