William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
BELAUGH is a small village, picturesquely seated on the summit and sides of an abrupt acclivity, which rises within a semicircular curve of the river Bure, 8½ miles N.E. by N. of Norwich. It is in Aylsham union, South Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division, Aylsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Colveston polling district of North Norfolk, Norfolk archdeaconry, and Ingworth rural deanery.
The rateable value in 1883 was £1165. Its parish contained 139 inhabitants in 1881, and 854 acres of rich loamy land, of which 130 are marsh, 690 arable, 27 water, and 7 plantations. Edward William Trafford, Esq. owns a great part of the soil, and is lord of the manor; but W.H. Trafford, Esq. and Sir Jacob Henry Preston, Bart., J.P. have estates here.
The CHURCH (St. Peter) has a tower and 3 bells. It has a high pitched roof, put up in 1862, when a new pulpit and reading desk were obtained, and the south side was reseated with oak. Here is an interesting old oak screen, with a fine painting of the twelve Apostles. The bank on the west side of the churchyard rises nearly perpendicularly from the river, and the rectory house stands in a romantic situation on the northern acclivity. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6, and now at £430, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Norwich, and incumbency of the Rev. George Peter Buck.
The tithes of Belaugh were commuted in 1831 for £222 6s. per annum. The Church Estate consists of 3 cottages and 3A.1R.3P., let for about £18 a year. The School is supported by voluntary rate, subscription, and Government grant. The poor of Belaugh have a share of Topcliffe's Charity (see Wroxham), and the rent of 1½A., left by Wm. Green, in 1717.
POST from Norwich, via Hoveton.
Blythe Joshua parish clerk Buck Rev. George Peter rector Clark Miss Maria schoolmistress Green Wm. Fredk. frmr.; h Wroxham Grimble Robert grocer Hammant Mrs Elizabeth farmer Youngs William farmer, Hall, and Juby farms
From ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS on pages 13-16:
"for 'Colveston,' read 'Coltishall.'"
See also the Belaugh parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.