William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BESTHORPE is a parish of dispersed houses, within 1 mile E. of Attleborough, containing 536 inhabitants, and 2132A. of land, mostly the property of the Earl of Winterton, the lord of the manor, impropriator of the rectorial tithes, and patron of the vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5. 6s. 10½d., and now enjoyed by the Hon. and Rev. A.A. Turnour, with 35A. of glebe. The tithes have been commuted for the yearly payment of £255 each to the vicar and impropriator.
The CHURCH (All Saints) is cruciform, and has a lofty square tower.
The Fuel Allotment, 15A. 1R. 23P., was awarded at the enclosure in 1806, and is let, with 4A. 3R. 16P. of Town Land, for £23. 5s. a year, which is distributed in coals.
The ancient Hall, now a farm-house, was a seat of the Drury family.
Cook John vict., Square and Compass
Lovett Robt. miller
Palmer Dd. miller
Wiggett J. blacksmith
White Rt. shopkeeper
Barker Thos. Palmer Wm.
Brown Thos. Pyman Jph.
Clarke Wm. Raynor John
Cook Edward Rose Samuel
Cowles Robt. Spruce Mrs. J.
Howes A., Exors. of Turner J.
Johnson Mrs. Warren John
Limmer Edward, Esq., Wright S., Exors. of
(Hall) Vince Jacob
See also the Besthorpe parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.