Norfolk: Billingford near East Dereham
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BILLINGFORD, a village and parish on the east side of the vale of the Wensum, 1½ miles E. of Elmham Station, and 6 miles W. by S. of Reepham, in Mitford union, East Dereham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Eynesford hundred and petty sessional division, Reepham polling district of North Norfolk, Sparham rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 315 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1820 acres, and has a rateable value of £2130.
The Earl of Leicester owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor and patron of the living, which is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7 10s., and now having 16 acres of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £365 10s., awarded in 1840 in lieu of tithes. The Rev. Charles John Dashwood, M.A., is the rector, and has a good residence. The CHURCH (St. Peter) comprises nave with aisles, chancel, porch, and octagonal tower, with one bell.
A School was built here by subscription in 1875, which is supported by subscriptions and Government grant.
The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel in the village.
Beck Hall, a moated house, which gives name to a large farm extending into the parishes of Bylaugh and Foxley, stands on the site of a hospital for poor travellers, founded by William de Beck, at an early period. High House (formerly called Bedlam House) gives name to another farm, was built about 1824, on the site of a tumulus, in which were found a Roman urn, and a variety of petrified shells and other fossils.
The Fuel Allotment, awarded under an Act of the 46th George III., is 50 acres, the rent of which is distributed in coal amongst the poor, who have also the interest of £5 left by Mr. Ruggs.
POST OFFICE at Mr. J. Ulph's. Letters arrive at 7.30 a.m., and are despatched at 5.45 p.m., viâ East Dereham. North Elmham is the nearest Money Order Office.
Blomfield Mr. Jno. Brumstead Miss M.A. schoolmistress Collyer Miss Cathe. Billingford Hall Dack Thomas blacksmith Dashwood Rev. Chas. Jno. M.A. rector Hall John farmer, High House Howard Jno. butcher Howard Jno. parish clerk Hudson Robert & Sons (Robt. jun. & Jno. Peter) farmers, Beck Hall Owick Philip shopkeeper Robinson Thomas vict. Tuns Inn, & machine owner Scott Francis farmer Ulph Jonathan postmstr. & shopkpr Winter William victualler, Bell
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
See also the Billingford near East Dereham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.