"BILLINGFORD, alias PYRLESTON, on the north side of the vale of the Waveney, 4 miles E. of Diss, has in its parish 219 souls, and about 1000 acres of land, mostly belonging to Geo. St. Vincent Wilson, Esq., lord of the manor and patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9, and now enjoyed by the Rev. Augustus Cooper, B.A., of Syleham. The glebe is 20A. 2R. 13P., and the tithes were commuted in 1842, for £296. 10s. per annum. The Church (St. Leonard,) had formerly a square tower. Here was a hospital, with 13 beds for travellers, founded by Wm. Beck, in the reign of Henry III. Martha Brighton died here in 1844, aged 101 years. Major Loftus has a farm of 80A. in this parish." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
See also Billingford near East Dereham.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Redenhall, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Leonard.
- Church of St Leonard
- Description and pictures.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Billingford to another place.
Billingford is in Earsham Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Earsham Hundred
- Description of Earsham Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Billingford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM166786 (Lat/Lon: 52.363022, 1.179569), Billingford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)