Norfolk: Billingford near Diss
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1864
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BILLINGFORD, alias PYRLESTON, on the north side of the vale of the Waveney, 4 miles E. of Diss, has in its parish 199 inhabitants, and about 1000 acres of land, mostly belonging to Geo. Holt Wilson, Esq., lord of the manor and patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9, and now at £365 with that of Little Thorpe annexed to it, and in the incumbency of the Rev. Augustus Cooper, B.A., of Syleham. The glebe here is 20A. 2R. 13P., and the tithes were commuted in 1842, for £296. 10s. per annum.
The Church (St. Leonard) is a very plain structure consisting of nave and chancel. It has one bell, but the tower has long since disappeared.
Here was a hospital, with 13 beds for travellers, founded by Wm. Beck, in the reign of Henry III.
Martha Brighton died here in 1844, aged 101 years. The Rev. Edmund Hollond has an estate here. The poor have £2 a year out of the Hall farm, left by Thomas Holt; and 5s. a year left by the Rev. John Bryers, in 1717, out of a cottage.
The chief residents are
Blomfield John, Esq. Hall Balls Jas. blacksmith Cotton Eliz. schoolmistress Goddard Geo. corn miller King Geo. shoemaker and shopkeeper Peake Robt. victualler, Three Horse Shoes Sage John farm bailiff Whiting John shopkeeper farmers. Bales Thos. W.L. Bartram Robt. Drake Fras. and Jas. Goddard Hannah and Henry
POST via Scole.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
See also the Billingford near Diss parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.