Hide

Billockby

hide
Hide

"BILLOCKBY, 8½ miles N.W. of Yarmouth, is a small parish, with only 71 inhabitants, and about 380 acres of land, belonging to Robt. Joy, Esq., and the Misses Browne, the former of whom is lord of the manor. The Church (All Saints) is in ruins, except the chancel, and is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £2. 8s. 9d., and in 1831, at £100. It was augmented in 1780, and 1792, with £400 of Queen Anne's Bounty. The Rev. Wm. Lucas, M.A., is patron and incumbent. The tithes have been commuted for £147. 10s. per annum." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

Hide
topup

Church Directories

  • In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Flegg, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
    It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
  • The parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
topup

Church History

Church of All Saints
Description and pictures.
topup

Church Records

Marriages 1561-1748
See Phillimore's Marriage Registers, Volume 7.
Marriages
These are included in Boyd's Marriage Index.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records

topup

Civil Registration

For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1930 (and for the censuses from 1851 to 1901), Billockby was in Flegg Registration District. Between 1837 and 1850, the district was called East and West Flegg.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration

You can see pictures of Billockby which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

Billockby is in West Flegg Hundred.

Parish outline and location.
See Parish Map for East Flegg and West Flegg Hundreds
Description of East Flegg and West Flegg Hundreds
1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

You can see the administrative areas in which Billockby has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Land and Property

Great Britain: Statute
Burgh St Margaret Inclosure Act, 1801.
An act for dividing, allotting, inclosing, draining, and preserving the open fields, marsh lands, commons, fens, and waste grounds, within the parishes of Burgh and Billockby, in the county of Norfolk.
[London, George Eyre and Andrew Strahan, 1801]

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Land and Property

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG426132 (Lat/Lon: 52.662173, 1.58572), Billockby which are provided by:

topup

Military Records

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law, etc.

topup

Population

These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.

Year   Inhabited
Houses
Families Population
1801   8   9 42
1811   8   9 58
1821   7 10 63
1831   7 12 67
1841 14 -- 71
1851 14 -- 65
Year   Inhabited
Houses
Families Population
1861 14 -- 46
1871 15 15 57
1881 15 15 66
1891 16 16 71
1901 14 14 78
1911 -- 16 85

There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.