Bintry (or Bintree)
"BINTREE, or BINTRY, on an eminence, 6 miles W. by N. of Reepham, is a village and parish, containing 409 souls, and 1455A. 28P. of land, mostly the property of Lady J. Townshend, (who has a neat residence here called Yarrow House,) Lord Hastings, T. Robson, Esq., and the Earl of Leicester. The latter is lord of the manor, which was purchased by Lord Chief Justice Coke, in 1608, for £625. The Church (St. Swithin,) is an ancient fabric, but the chancel was rebuilt in 1806. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10, has 13A. 3R. of glebe, and the yearly rent of £418. 7s. 4d. awarded in 1844, in lieu of tithes. It is united with that of Themelthorpe (£135 per annum, and 19A. of glebe,) in the gift of Lord Hastings, and incumbency of the Rev. Augustus Dashwood, of Thornage." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
Bintry is about 8 miles N.N.E. of East Dereham.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Sparham, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Swithin.
- Parish Register Transcripts
- Baptisms 1686-1812, Banns 1754-1825, Marriages 1686-1812 and Burials 1686-1812.
[Parish Register Transcription Society, Dart Series, 2000?]
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bintry (or Bintree) to another place.
Bintry is in Eynsford Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Eynsford Hundred
- Description of Eynsford Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Bintry (or Bintree) has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG019236 (Lat/Lon: 52.772291, 0.990913), Bintry (or Bintree) which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1911 Census
- "The large increase in the population of Bintree Civil Parish is attributed to the establishment of the Watt's Naval Training School."