William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BINTRY, or BINTREE, on an eminence, 6 miles W. by N. of Reepham, is a village and parish, in Mitford union, East Dereham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Eynesford petty sessional division and hundred, Reepham polling district of North Norfolk, Sparham rural deanery and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 363 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1455 acres, and has a rateable value of £2366.
The parish is mostly the property of the Earl of Leicester, who is lord of the manor, which was purchased by Lord Chief Justice Coke in 1608, for £625 (equal perhaps to £5000 of our money). Lord Hastings, Mr. Benj. Johnson and T. Stone, Esq., have estates here. Yarrow House is a neat residence, the property of T. Stone, Esq. About the year 1856, in a gravel pit in this parish, was discovered a stone hammer head and part of a quern, which was an agglomerate of agates. They are now in the possession of W.A. Tyssen Amherst, Esq., of Didlington Hall. The old whipping post still remains here.
The CHURCH (St. Swithin) comprises nave, chancel, south aisle, south transept, south porch, and square tower with three bells. It is of considerable antiquity, except the chancel, which was rebuilt in 1806. The holy-water stoup remains in the church, and here is a fine mural monument to Lord James Townshend. In 1864 the church was entirely restored by subscription; the handsome oak roof being put in by Lord Hastings. There are two fine stained glass memorial windows. The south window in the transept, to Lord James Townshend and Captain Henderson, and the east window, inserted in 1873, to Lady Jas. Townshend.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10, has 11A. of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £415 12s. 4d., awarded in 1844 in lieu of tithes. It is united with that of Themelthorpe (£131 per annum and 19A. of glebe), in the gift of Lord Hastings and incumbency of the Rev. Robt. Reeve Rackham, B.A., who has a rectory house near the church.
The School was erected in 1879 at a cost of about £350, on a site given by Earl Leicester.
The Primitive Methodist Chapel was erected in 1877.
The Fuel Allotment, 16A. 39P., awarded at the enclosure in 1797, is let for £45 a year, which is distributed in coals. The Town Lands, which had been long vested in trust for the church, were exchanged at the enclosure for 19A. 2R. 38P., let for £30 a year, and a house occupied rent-free by poor families. A legacy of £10, left to the poor by Thomas Lynn, was laid out in building a coal shed.
POST OFFICE at Mrs. Elizth. Thrower's. Letters arrive at 7 a.m., and despatched at 5.45 p.m. Letters viâ East Dereham. Foulsham is the nearest Money Order Office.
Burrell Hy. William farmer & miller Chapman Mrs Sarah grocer Cook Francis farmer Cornall Richard national schoolmaster Dack Charles parish clerk Dennis Daniel shopkeeper Hastings John H. land agent and valuer, Manor house Johnson Benjamin farmer Joyce William bootmaker Mayhew Mr Robert Oldman Robert cattle dealer and vict. Half Moon Rackham Rev. Robert Reeve, B.A. rector, The Rectory Rose Samuel J.C. grocer Seaman Mr John Shaw Frederick vict. Royal Oak Smith Ezra farmer Stone Thomas, Esq. Yarrow house Symonds John farmer and carter Thrower Mrs Elizabeth postmistress Wilkinson John blacksmith
CARRIERS pass through to Norwich, Mon. Wed. and Sat
See also the Bintry parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.