"BIRCHAM, (GREAT) a village and parish, on the Burnham road, 14 miles N.E. of Lynn, has 511 inhabitants, and 3,542 acres of land, of which a part is sheep walk, and 246A. are in woods and plantations. The Marquis of Cholmondeley is owner of the soil and lord of the manor. The CHURCH (St. Mary,) on an eminence, has a fine tower at the west end, containing five bells. It is a handsome structure, very indifferently pewed; and during the progress of some recent repairs, three piscinas were discovered. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £22, and in 1831 at £527, has about 70 acres of glebe. Anthony Hamond, Esq., is the patron, and the Rev. Wm. Pratt, B.A., of Harpley, incumbent. . . . A Free School, for the poor children of the three Bircham parishes, was built in 1842, by the Marquis Cholmondeley, who also supports two small preparatory schools, and partly clothes the scholars, of whom, about 80 attend the principal school." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Ian Wegg]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Heacham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Great Bircham to another place.
Great Bircham is in Smithdon Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Smithdon Hundred
- Description of Smithdon Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Great Bircham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Great Bircham Land Exchanges and Inclosure Act, 1739.
An act for confirming and establishing an exchange, agreed upon by the lord of the manor and the rector of the parish church of Great Bircham in the county of Norfolk; and for promoting and facilitating an inclosure, intended to be made of divers commons, common pasture and waste grounds, lying in the said parish of Great Bircham.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF768326 (Lat/Lon: 52.861876, 0.625025), Great Bircham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Roll of Honour
- World Wars 1 and 2.
- Roll of Honour - War Graves in the Churchyard
- World Wars 1 and 2.
- War Graves at Great Bircham
- Some of the people were from Bircham Newton airfield.
Names, details, pictures, plan of graves, etc.
This is a link to an archived copy.
- Hillman, Brian and Beynon, John
- The British, Commonwealth and German War Graves in St Mary's Churchyard, Great Bircham.
[King's Lynn, 2002]
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.