Norfolk: Bircham Tofts
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
BIRCHAM-TOFTS lies from half a mile to a mile E. of Great Bircham, and is a small village and parish, with 135 inhabitants and 1431 acres of land. It is in Docking union, Fakenham county court district, Smithdon and Brothercross petty sessional division, Docking polling district of West Norfolk, Heacham deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. The rateable value is £788. The Marquis of Cholmondeley is owner of the soil and lord of the manor. Nearly all the cottages were rebuilt about fifteen years ago by the late Marquis of Cholmondeley.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a small plain structure, consisting only of a nave and a square tower containing one bell, and surmounted by a small wooden spire. The entrance is now at the west end, through the tower, the old north and south doorways being walled up. There was originally a chancel, the site of which may be distinctly traced. The only window in the body of the church is an ugly round-headed one, inserted in the east wall of the nave. The Registers date from 1722.
The Marquis of Cholmondeley is patron of the living. The discharged rectory is consolidated with that of Bircham Newton, and the rector has here 32A. of glebe, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £221 16s.
The children attend the school at Great Bircham.
POST from Lynn. Docking is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office and Railway Station.
Johnson Thomas farm bailiff Taylor Robt. basket maker & farmer Wharton Thomas farmer, Pond hs
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
See also the Bircham Tofts parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.