"BLO' NORTON was anciently called Norton Bell'eau, from its being situated near the fair stream of the Little Ouse. It is a small village, 5 miles S. of East Harling, and comprises in its parish 435 inhabitants, and 1133A. 2R. 22P., of which 1081 acres are assessable. The soil belongs to many proprietors, the largest of whom is the Rev. Chas. Howman Browne, M.A., lord of the manors, and patron and incumbent of the rectory, which is valued in the King's Book at £5. 6s. 3d., and has 20A. of glebe. He resides at the Hall, an ancient mansion near the river. The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a small fabric of one aisle, with a tower and five bells, and near it stood another dedicated to St. Margaret, but it was taken down in 1394. The tithes were commuted in 1838 for £330 per ann. Here is an Independent and also a Primitive Methodist Chapel." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
Blo Norton is about 7 miles W. of Diss.
The name may also be spelled Blo' Norton, Blo-Norton, Blow Norton and Blonorton.
See also Blofield.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Rockland, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Andrew.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1902 (and for the censuses of 1851 to 1901), Blo Norton was in Guiltcross Registration District.
This district was abolished on 1st April 1902 and, from then until 1930, Blo Norton was in Thetford Registration District for civil registration.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Blo Norton to another place.
Blo Norton is in Guiltcross Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Guiltcross Hundred
- Description of Guiltcross Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Blo Norton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Blo Norton Hall
- Description, history and pictures.
- Duleep Singh, Frederick, Prince
- An account of Blo Norton Hall, otherwise the Manor House of Brome Hall in Blo Norton.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology", vol.18, 1914]
- Great Britain: Statute
- Blo Norton Inclosure Act, 1820.
An act for inclosing lands within the parish of Blo Norton, in the county of Norfolk.
[London, George Eyre and Andrew Strahan, 1820]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM015795 (Lat/Lon: 52.376228, 0.958127), Blo Norton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1861 Census
- "GUILTCROSS. The decrease of population in most of the parishes of this District is attributed partly to the migration of labourers to towns and manufacturing districts. In some parishes it has also been consequent upon the failure of hand-loom hemp-cloth weaving."