William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BLO' NORTON was anciently called Norton Bell'eau, from its being situated near the fair stream of the Little Ouse. It is a small village, 5 miles S. of East Harling, and comprises in its parish 435 inhabitants, and 1133A. 2R. 22P., of which 1081 acres are assessable. The soil belongs to many proprietors, the largest of whom is the Rev. Chas. Howman Browne, M.A., lord of the manors, and patron and incumbent of the rectory, which is valued in the King's Book at £5. 6s. 3d., and has 20A. of glebe. He resides at the Hall, an ancient mansion near the river.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a small fabric of one aisle, with a tower and five bells, and near it stood another dedicated to St. Margaret, but it was taken down in 1394. The tithes were commuted in 1838 for £330 per ann.
Here is an Independent and also a Primitive Methodist Chapel.
The poor cut turf on the Fuel Allotment, 20A., awarded at the enclosure in 1822, when the Parish Land was augmented to 18A., let for about £25, which is applied with the church and poor rates. The worthy rector has recently improved the condition of the poor, by letting them allotments of land.
Browne Rev. C.H., M.A. Hall
Day Geo. joiner
Edwards Samuel wheelwright
beer sellers. grocers.
Ellemer Benj. Newell Mr. Edw.
Holden Jerh. Saunders Wm.
Browne Edw. Saunders Wm.
Chittock Benj. Self Thomas
Clear John Walton Thos.
Collingford Wm. Wells Henry
See also the Blo Norton parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.