William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
BOUGHTON, a small scattered village, 1½ mile N. of Stoke Ferry, and 6 miles E. by S. of Downham, has in its parish 209 souls, and 1,322A. 2R. 17P. of land, belonging to Sir H.R.P. Bedingfeld, Bart., the lord of the manor, except 30A. of glebe, and about 200A. belonging to Mr. Roper.
The CHURCH, (All Saints,) has a square tower and three bells. The chancel was rebuilt 40 years ago. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10, and now having a yearly rent of £418 in lieu of tithes. Sir W.J.H.B. Ffolkes is patron, and the Rev. George Hunt, incumbent.
At the enclosure, land was allotted to the poor for fuel.
Drosier Rev. Thos., B.A. curate
Smith Saml. vict., Bell
Cooper David shoemaker
Deady Geo. shopkeeper
Harpley Danl. gamekeeper
Steward Edward, Simeon
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
See also the Boughton parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.