William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BOWTHORPE parish, 3 miles W. by N. of Norwich, is in Forehoe union, Norwich county court district, Forehoe petty sessional division, Forehoe hundred, Norwich bankruptcy district, Norwich polling district of South Norfolk, Humbleyard rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
It had 78 inhabitants in 1881, living on 600 acres, and has a rateable value of about £500; all in one farm, belonging to F.B. Frank, Esq., of Campsall Hall, near Doncaster, and occupied by Mr. Joseph Rinder. In 1571 Bowthorpe Hall was the property of the Yaxleys, of Yaxley, a wealthy Suffolk Catholic family, and was afterwards, for a short time, occupied by the Waldergrave family. It was occupied by troops during Kett's rebellion; and several relics were found when the house was altered by the present occupier.
The CHURCH (St. Michael) was unroofed in 1792, but much of the ruined walls still remains. The vicarage, certified at £15, is consolidated with Earlham.
From ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS on pages 13-16:
"for 'Humbleyard,' read 'Forehoe division of Hingham.'"
See also the Bowthorpe parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.