William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © David E.A. Matthews]
BRADFIELD, 2½ miles N.N.W. of North Walsham, is a parish in Smallburgh union, Tunstead hundred, North Walsham county court district, North Walsham, Happing and Tunstead petty sessional division, Blofield polling division of South Norfolk, Norfolk archdeaconry and Waxham deanery. Its rateable value is about £1000. Its parish had 113 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 757 acres of land, belonging to Lord Suffield, the lord of the manor. Bradfield Hall, a pleasant white-brick residence, is occupied by George Ives, Esq.
The CHURCH (St. Giles) is a handsome building in the Decorated style of the 14th century, comprising nave, chancel, south porch and lofty square tower with one bell. There is a canopied piscina in the chancel. From the arches in the walls on each side of the nave, it is evident that there were once side aisles. The building has recently been thoroughly restored, and refitted with open oak benches in the nave, and richly carved stalls in the chancel, with pulpit and reading-desk to correspond. There are two fine pinnacles on the chancel gable, which with the new stone coping, cross, and window, present an east front not surpassed by any church in the district.
Lord Suffield is patron of the rectory, which was valued in the King's Book at £3 15s.; but one moiety of the tithes (£55 a year) form a donative annexed to Thorpe Market. The rector has £160 10s. a year in lieu of tithes, 2A. 2R. 28P. of glebe, and a neat residence, built in 1861. The Rev. Hugh Owen is the incumbent.
The new CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL is a neat Gothic building of flint, with stone dressings, erected in 1872, at a cost of £500, and has 170 sittings. The Rev. Charles Goffe is the minister. This parish is united with Antingham and district School Board.
POST from Norwich, via Walsham, which is the nearest Money Order Office. Wall Letter Box cleared at 3.30 p.m., on week days only.
Barber Mrs. Elizabeth Lyngate bdge [see note below] Barber Robert farmer Cook John wheelwright Ives Geo. Farmer & owner, The Hall Knight Mrs Susan shopkeeper Larner Mrs Mary blacksmith Overton Jonathan farmer Owen Rev. Hugh rector, Rectory Suffolk John parish clerk and sexton Wright John farm steward
Note: In the 1881 census, this is "Lingate House".
From ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS on pages 13-16:
(In the first paragraph) "take out the second 'North Walsham,' and for 'Blofield polling district of South Norfolk,' read 'North Walsham . . . of North Norfolk.'"
See also the Bradfield parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.