William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © David E.A. Matthews]
BRAMERTON, a small village and parish, 4½ miles S.E. by E. of Norwich, is in Henstead union, Norwich county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Henstead hundred, Swainsthorpe petty sessional division, Norwich polling district of South Norfolk, West Brooke rural deanery and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 269 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 728 acres of land. Its rateable value is £1799.
Mrs. Blake, J. N. Waite, Esq., Hy. Maudsley, Esq., Geo. England, Esq., own most of the soil. The Hall, the seat of the Corys from 1400 to the middle of the last century, and now the property of Mrs. S. Blake, was rebuilt by Henry Maudsley, Esq., in 1882, and is a handsome house with a lofty embattled tower. Hill House, situated on an eminence above the river Yare, commands an extensive view.
The CHURCH (St. Peter) which was rebuilt in 1462, is a Decorated structure comprising nave, chancel, north transept, south porch, and square tower with one bell. The north window of the chancel contains some stained glass, and a small window in the transept is filled with stained glass, in memory of Mrs. Pughe Jones, who died in 1875. On the walls is a mural tablet in memory of the late John Blake, Esq., whose widow and son built the transept in 1860, at a cost of £200. An organ was bought by subscription in 1861, at a cost of £60.
The discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6, and now at £258 a year, is in the patronage of Robt. Fellowes, Esq., and in the incumbency of the Rev. Edmund Blake, M.A., who has a handsome brick residence, built in 1839, at a cost of £1400. Here are about 22 acres of glebe.
The Town Land, 5A. 2R. 20P. is let for £8, which is distributed in coal. This parish has £5 every fifth year, for apprentice fees, and 20s. yearly for the poor, from Cock's Charity. (See Hillington). In 1711, the Rev. Wm. Berney left £100 for schooling poor children, but the interest has not been paid since the death of Sir John Berney. About 2 acres of land, vested with the churchwardens and the overseers for the time being for the benefit of the parishioners, is used as a recreation ground.
POST OFFICE at William Cooke's. Letters arrive at 8 a.m., despatched at 4.40 p.m., week-days, and 11.25 a.m. on Sundays, via Norwich and Trowse. Trowse is nearest Money Order Office and railway station, and Norwich nearest Telegraph Office.
Baker George steward for Hy. Maudsley, Esq. Hill House Lodge Blake Rev. Edmund, M.A. (exors. of) Blake Mrs. Susannah The Hall England Geo. farmer, & at Freethorpe Miller Mr. Francis Maudsley Hy. Esq. C.E. Hill house Nobbs Francis shopkpr. & pork btchr Penrice John Esq. B.A., J.P., D.L. Bramerton lodge Sambrell Alexr. market gardener Todd David blacksmith Todd John market gardener Tuck Robt. farm bailiff for Mrs. S. Blake Waite Jno. N. Esq. frmr. & land ownr Youngs Edward ferry owner and vict. Woods End
CARRIERS from Surlingham and Rockland St. Mary pass through to Norwich on Wednesday & Saturday.
See also the Bramerton parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.