"BRAMPTON, a small parish on the river Bure, 2½ miles S.S.E. of Aylsham, has 263 souls, and 521A. of land, but only 482 acres are assessable, and 16 are common. John Wright, Esq., owns most of the soil, and is lord of the mannor [sic], which was held by a family of its own name, till 1663. Roman coins, urns, &c., have been found here and in the adjoining parishes of Buxton and Burgh. The Church (St. Peter,) is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5, and now having 14A.3R.28P. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £154, in lieu of tithes. Robt. Marsham, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. W.A.W. Keppel, of Hainford, incumbent; for whom the Rev. Henry Philip Marsham officiates. The church land is 2½A. The Hall, now a farm-house, was built in 1595. Here is an Infant School, established in 1843, and chiefly supported by the Misses Wright." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Ingworth, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Peter.
- Church of St Peter
- Description and pictures.
- Michell, Arthur T.
- The Register of Brampton, Norfolk: From 1732 to 1812, with all register bills extant from 1600 to 1732.
[Sheriffhales (Shropshire), 1897]
- Parish Register Transcripts
- Baptisms 1732-1812, Banns 1755-1900, Marriages 1732-1750,1755-1837 and Burials 1732-1811.
[Parish Register Transcription Society, Dart Series, 2000?]
- Parish Register Transcripts
- Banns and Marriages.
- Bishops Transcripts
- Baptisms, Marriages and Burials.
- These are included in Boyd's Marriage Index.
They are not included in Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Brampton to another place.
Brampton is in South Erpingham Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for South Erpingham Hundred
- Description of South Erpingham Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Brampton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG223240 (Lat/Lon: 52.768241, 1.294412), Brampton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- After 1834 Brampton became part of the Aylsham Union, and the workhouses were at Buxton and Oulton. These were replaced by a new workhouse at Aylsham in 1849.
- Great Britain: Statute
Buxton and other parishes poor relief and employment act, 1806.
An act for the more effectual relief and employment of the poor, in the parishes of Buxton, Hevingham, Marsham, Stratton Strawless, Swanton Abbott, Burgh next Aylsham, Skeyton, Brampton, and Oxnead, in the county of Norfolk: 23rd May 1806.
[London, George Eyre and Andrew Strahan, 1806]