"BRANDISTON and GUTON form a small parish, 3 miles E.S.E. of Reepham, and 5 miles S.W. by W. of Aylsham, containing 137 souls, and about 737 acres of land, in the manors of Bintry Hastings and Langetot, but mostly the property of Edward Fellowes, Esq., (owner of Guton Hall;) Magdalen College, and the Culley, Lombe, and Atthill families. The latter have been seated more than two centuries at Brandiston Hall, now only a small house, which was repaired about 10 years ago by the Rev. Prebendary Atthill, a member of the Irish Church. Brandiston Church (St. Nicholas,) has a short round tower, and in its windows are some ancient specimens of stained glass. It has recently been thoroughly repaired. Another church, dedicated to St. Swithin, is supposed to have stood in the same grave-yard. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7. 12s. 8½d., and now having 11A. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £243. 10s., awarded in 1841, in lieu of tithes. The patronage is in Magdalen College, Oxford, and the Rev. Caddy Thomas is the incumbent." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
The name may also be spelled Brandeston.
It is also known as Brandiston with Guton.
See also Braydeston.
- Mid-Norfolk Family History Society
- Memorial Inscriptions of the Church and Churchyard of St Michael the Archangel Booton, and St Nicholas Brandiston.
[Mid-Norfolk Family History Society, 2009]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Sparham, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Nicholas.
- Parish Register Transcripts
- Baptisms 1562-1900, Banns 1759-1817, Marriages 1566-1858 and Burials 1562-1811.
[Parish Register Transcription Society, Dart Series, 2000?]
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Brandiston to another place.
Brandiston is in Eynsford Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Eynsford Hundred
- Description of Eynsford Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Brandiston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Second annual inclosure act, 1849.
An act to authorize the inclosure of certain lands in pursuance of a special report of the Inclosure Commissioners for England and Wales: 28th July 1849, including the parishes of Swannington, Brandiston and Haveringland, for which provisional inclosure orders were made on 26 June 1848.
[London, George Edward Eyre and William Spottiswoode, 1849]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG132217 (Lat/Lon: 52.751048, 1.157941), Brandiston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1861 Census
- "ST. FAITHS. The decrease of population in most of the parishes comprised in the District of St. Faiths is attributed to the migration of labourers and their families to the manufacturing districts."