"BRANDON PARVA, 5½ miles N.N.W. of Wymondham, and 10 miles W. of Norwich, has in its parish 222 souls, and 982A. of land, mostly belonging, with the manor, to O.S. Onley, Esq. The Church (All Saints,) has a square tower, and the living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8. 3s. 9d., and now having a yearly rent of £321, awarded in 1841, in lieu of tithes. F.R. Reynolds is patron, and the Rev. Charles Reynolds incumbent. In 1692, Abigail Costivel left £20 towards building a school here, and endowed it with a yearly rent-charge of 20s. out of High House farm. The old school was divided many years ago into three tenements, claimed by the churchwardens, who, in 1833, agreed to pay the rent of one of them (£2. 5s.) towards the support of a school, built here by C.S.H. Onley, and now supported chiefly by subscription. The poor have £10 a year out of Mr. Onley's estate, left by John Warner, in 1702, for distribution on Christmas-day. The Fuel Allotment, 10A., was awarded at the enclosure in 1833, and is let for £12 a year, the turf upon it having been exhausted." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
Brandon Parva is also known as Little Brandon.
See also Brandon in Suffolk.
Not all memorials may be included, even when a transcription is marked as complete, for example when stones are not legible enough to be read or photographed.
- Mid-Norfolk Family History Society
- Memorial Inscriptions of the Churches and Churchyards of All Saints, Brandon Parva; All Saints, Runhall; and St Michael, Coston.
[Mid-Norfolk Family History Society, 2013]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Hingham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- Brandon Parva, Coston, Runhall and Welborne Parish Council
- Councillors, meetings, minutes, etc.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Brandon Parva to another place.
Brandon Parva is in Forehoe Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Forehoe Hundred
- Description of Forehoe Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Brandon Parva has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Brandon Parva Inclosure Act, 1812.
An act for inclosing lands in the parish of Brandon Parva, otherwise Little Brandon, in the county of Norfolk.
[London, J. Dorington for the House of Commons, 1812]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG073079 (Lat/Lon: 52.629468, 1.061038), Brandon Parva which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1831 Census
- "Several Cottages have been pulled down in the Parish of Brandon-Parva; hence the decrease of Population (28 Persons)."