Hide

Bridgham

hide
Hide

"BRIDGHAM, a small village in the pleasant vale of the Thet river, 2 miles W. of East Harling, and 6 miles E. by N. of Thetford, contains 328 inhabitants, and 2639A. of land, of which Sir J. S. Sebright, Bart., is principal owner and lord of the manor. Wm. Cockell and C. Harrison, Esqrs., have estates here. The CHURCH (St. Mary) has a nave, chancel, and north porch, and a wooden belfry, with two bells. It was new roofed in 1842. The Rectory, valued in K.B. at £11. 1s., and in 1831 at £400, is in the gift of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Currie, B.A., with 22A. of glebe." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]

Hide

The name may also be spelled Bridgeham.

Hide
topup

Church Directories

  • In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Rockland, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
    It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
  • The parish church is dedicated to St Mary the Virgin.
topup

Church History

Church of St Mary the Virgin
Description, history and pictures.
Church of St Mary the Virgin
Description and pictures.
Church of St Mary the Virgin
Services, etc.
topup

Church Records

Parish Register Transcripts
Baptisms 1813-1880
Parish Register Transcripts
Marriages.
Marriages
These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records

topup

Civil Registration

For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1902 (and for the censuses of 1851 to 1901), Bridgham was in Guiltcross Registration District.

This district was abolished on 1st April 1902 and, from then until 1930, Bridgham was in Thetford Registration District for civil registration.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration

topup

Description & Travel

Harper, Charles Hugh Richardson
Breckland Portraits: recollections of a Norfolk parson.
Bridgham, Riddlesworth and West Harling.
[ISBN 1901470032, East Harling, Taverner Publications, 1997]
O'Neale, David; and Harper, Charles Hugh Richardson
A Breckland Time-piece: Tales of Bridgham folk and their Harling neighbours, in the words of 'Hugh the Harp'.
[1996]
Bridgham Post Mill
Description, history and pictures.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Bridgham which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

Bridgham is in Shropham Hundred.

Parish outline and location.
See Parish Map for Shropham Hundred
Description of Shropham Hundred
1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

You can see the administrative areas in which Bridgham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Land & Property

Great Britain: Statute
Bridgham Inclosure Act, 1804.
An act for inclosing lands in the parish of Bridgham, in the county of Norfolk.
[1804]

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Land and Property

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL960860 (Lat/Lon: 52.437176, 0.882251), Bridgham which are provided by:

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

topup

Population

These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.

Year  Inhabited
Houses
FamiliesPopulation
18013550242
18113650245
18213761294
18313760291
184161--328
185167--339
Year  Inhabited
Houses
FamiliesPopulation
186172--328
18716969300
18814771274
18917174294
19016469255
1911--65254

There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.

1861 Census
"GUILTCROSS. The decrease of population in most of the parishes of this District is attributed partly to the migration of labourers to towns and manufacturing districts. In some parishes it has also been consequent upon the failure of hand-loom hemp-cloth weaving."
1881 Census
The number of inhabited houses really is 47.