William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Juanita Hadwin]
BRIDGHAM, a small village in the pleasant vale of the Thet river, 2 miles W. of East Harling, and 6 miles E. by N. of Thetford, is in Guiltcross union, Attleborough county court district, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, Shropham hundred, Norwich bankruptcy district, East Harling polling district of South Norfolk, Rockland rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 274 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2692 acres, and has a rateable value of £2491 15s.
The parish mostly belongs to Sir Robert Jacob Buxton, Bart., M.P., D.L., the lord of the manor; but Lionel Creasy and Arthur Cockell, Esqrs., have estates here.
The CHURCH (St. Mary) comprises nave, chancel, north porch, and wooden belfry with one bell. The chancel was restored by the rector in 1878 at a cost of £250. The east and south windows in the chancel have been filled with stained glass by the present rector, and in the nave is a window in memory of John Wellingham.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £11 1s., is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. Frederick Thorne, B.D., who was appointed in 1876, and who has a yearly tithe rent-charge of £371 and 15 acres of glebe. The rectory house was erected at a cost of nearly £1000.
Here is a Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1834.
Bridgham, Roudham and Larling United District School Board was formed in 1876, and consists of the Rev. Frederick Thorne, B.D. (chairman); Rev. H.T. Pearse, M.A., Larling (vice-chairman); and Messrs. E. Mornement, Roudham; W.G. Gillings, Bridgham; W. Brame, Bridgham; John Lock, Larling; and W.H. Stebbing, Larling. Mr. L. Lane, of Kenninghall, is clerk to the Board. The school at Bridgham has been enlarged, and is leased from the rector at a nominal rent. A school for 50 scholars was opened in May 1879, at Larling.
The poor have £10 yearly from Christ's College, Cambridge, as the gift of Mr. Risly, who was rector here in 1523; and £9 yearly from the rent of 7A. 2R. 24P., left by Dorothy Gawdy in 1791. The Fuel Allotments, awarded at the enclosure in 1806, comprise about 500 acres, on which the resident parishioners have the right of cutting turf and ling.
POST OFFICE at Mrs. Maria Cooper's. Letters from Thetford, viâ East Harling, arrive at 7 a.m. and are despatched at 6.15 p.m. East Harling is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Brame William vict. Red Lion Inn Cooper Mrs Maria grocer, draper and Post Office Cutter John blacksmith Davy David carpenter Davy Miss Kate haberdasher Davy Mrs Sarah beerhouse Flatt T. farmer, The Hall farm Hubbard Charles clerk and sexton Jillings William Gayford farmer, The Grove and Manor farms Thorne Rev. Frederick, B.D. rector, The Rectory Tuck George grocer Whitrod Reuben bootmaker Wilton Bennett blacksmith
See also the Bridgham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.