"BRINTON, 3½ miles W.S.W. of Holt, has in its parish 193 souls, and 615 acres. It maintains its poor jointly with Melton Constable, under Gilbert's Act. Lord Hastings is lord of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to John Brereton, Esq., who has a handsome mansion here, which was built by the late Wm. John Brereton, Esq., in 1822, on the site of an ancient house which was erected in 1606, and rebuilt in 1721. The house has a fine lawn and small lake. The Church (All Saints [sic, should be St Andrew],) is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8. 11s. 4d., and consolidated with that of Thornage, which see. The tithes here were commuted in 1839 for £170 per annum, and the glebe is 20A." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
See also Briston.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Holt, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Andrew.
- Archdeacons' Transcripts
- Baptisms 1706-1812, Marriages 1730-1810 and Burials 1706-1812.
[Parish Register Transcription Society, Dart Series, 2000?]
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
- Consolidation of Thornage and Brinton Churches
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1869 (and for the censuses in 1851 and 1861), Brinton was in Erpingham Registration District.
In 1869 it was transferred to Walsingham Registration District for civil registration until 1930, and for the censuses of 1871 to 1901.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Brinton to another place.
Brinton is in Holt Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Holt Hundred
- Description of Holt Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Brinton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Walton, Jane-Ann
- Brinton's former trades.
[Friends of Brinton, Village History Paper 1, 1981]
- Walton, Jane-Ann
- Brinton from the 1838 tithe map.
[Friends of Brinton, Village History Paper 2, 1982]
- Lord, John Fairbourne
- Brinton's Parish Chest.
[Friends of Brinton, Village History Paper 3, 1983]
- Friends of Brinton
- Brinton School, 1877-1984.
[Friends of Brinton, Village History Paper 4, 1984]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG038357 (Lat/Lon: 52.880009, 1.027048), Brinton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.