Norfolk: Brisley


William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

BRISLEY is a straggling village on the Fakenham road, 6 miles N.N.W. of East Dereham, including within its parish 388 inhabitants, and upwards of 1200 acres of land, mostly the property of Lord Sondes and J.D.H. Hill, Esq., the lords of the manor. Mr. F. Frohawk, Mr. B. Butler, Mrs. Branford, and Mrs. Garwood have estates here. Brisley Green is a fine open common of 170 acres.

The CHURCH (St. Bartholomew,) is a large Gothic structure, with a lofty tower and four bells. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8. 7s. 8d., has the vicarage of Gateley annexed to it, in the patronage of Christ's College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Edward John Ash, M.A. The united livings were valued in 1831, at £491. The tithes of Brisley were commuted in 1840, for £289, and the vicarial tithes of Gateley for £142. The rectorial tithes of Gateley belong to Christ's College, and were commuted at the same time for £203 per annum.

Brisley Hall is an ancient farm house, still nearly encompassed by a deep moat, and having some fine specimens of carved oak.

Rd. Taverner, a pious layman, who died in 1575, in his 70th year, was a native of Brisley. To promote the Reformation, he published, in 1539, a new translation of the Bible, for which he was committed to the tower; but he regained the favour of Henry VIII., when that monarch became himself a reformer.

A National School has recently been built here.

The Town Land, 4A., is let for £12 a year, which is applied with the church and poor rates.

         Ash         Rev Edw John, M.A. rector
         Athow       James              pump maker
         Athow       Wm.                vict. Bell Inn
         Bass        Thomas             vict. Lion
         Branford    Mrs Sarah Ann
         Chapman     George Nathl.      schoolmr
         Englebright George             corn miller
         Englebright Robert             carpenter
         Lee         John               blacksmith
         Rye         John               carpenter
         Spencer     Elizabeth          beer seller
         Stimpson    Samuel             tea dealer
         Temple      Rt.                grocer, dpr. & chandler
         Clarke      John
         Crown       James
         Englebright John and William
         Frohawk     Francis            (maltster,) Hall
         Meck        George
         Poll        George
         Rye         Richard
         Spence      Robert
         Stirley     Robert
         Wormer      John

See also the Brisley parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
April 2006